Kordon NovAqua+ feature the next generation in pond conditioning with an effective blend of chemicals infused with Echinacia that promote healthy pond fish and environments. This new formula removes heavy metals including copper, neutralizes chlorine, and removes iodine from pond water.
Kordon is a trusted name in the pond care business and the new NovAqua+ brings our best water conditioner yet. East to use and effective, NovAqua+ should be used for setting up new ponds and aquariums, during water changes, and before adding fish. Simply use 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.
NovAqua+ More In Depth
Tap water may be safe for humans, but in almost all localities it is not safe for fishes and aquatic invertebrates. Tap water needs to be modified by using NovAqua+ when setting up aquariums and ponds, when making water changes, and when preparing salt water for marine aquariums.
NovAqua+ is the new generation of NovAquas, it is the latest stage of technological development in water conditioners for aquariums and ponds. NovAqua+ is the most effective of the tap water conditioners for benefiting aquatic life. But it goes far beyond that. NovAqua+ provides, in a single product, everything necessary to handle all of the needs when treating tap water for aquatic life (except for handling nitrogen compound removal). For the removal of toxic nitrogen compounds including ammonia/ammonium, nitrites, nitrates use Kordon’s AmQuel+ . NovAqua+ is recommended to be used with AmQuel+, with which it is fully compatible. Also see NOTE ABOUT COMBINATION PRODUCTS below).
The NovAqua products for conditioning aquarium and pond water were first introduced decades ago and have been used world wide ever since, becoming a leader in water conditioners for fish and other aquatic life, both fresh and salt water. The NovAqua products have been continually expanded and improved in performance as advances in the technology have been made and as public water conditions have changed over time. NovAqua+ is the latest in technology and is appreciably more advanced than the original NovAqua product, being completely reformulated.
NovAqua+ provides multiple protective colloid coatings on the fish’s body to replace or reinforce the natural slime coating that is essential to counteract injury, infection, and adverse environmental exposure.
These organic polymers effectively shield wounds on fish, prevent the loss of internal fluids and electrolytes, and protect fish from external toxins and pathogens.
The skin of fishes and many aquatic invertebrates is naturally fragile. It is covered by a protective slime coating that helps keep harmful bacteria and viruses away and aids the animals in their swimming ability by reducing surface friction. Any lessening of the slime coating, such as by abrasion and wounds can allow harmful pathogens to enter the skin. Fishes and invertebrates can sense when their slime coating is lessened or missing, and this can be very stressful to them. Fish being introduced to aquariums or ponds, or being transported, are particularly prone to losing natural slime and needing slime replacement.
NovAqua+ neutralizes chlorine and the full toxic effect of chloramines
* Chlorine is used in just about all municipal water supplies, for which the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency recommends up to 4 ppm chlorine.
* Chloramines in municipal water supplies are a very serious problem for aquarists and pond keepers. Chloramines are a combination of chlorine and ammonia that together make a chemical compound that is much more stable and highly toxic to viruses and bacteria than either is alone. Chloramines are also very toxic to fishes and aquatic invertebrates.
* Over 50% of all municipalities in the U.S. now have chloramines added to the water supply, and the number rises every month. The American Water Works Association now strongly recommends that municipal water suppliers add chloramines to their water supply, because of increasing amounts of pathogens in water sources due to water pollution. Chloramines are lethal to all water-breathng aquatic animals. It is becoming essential that aquarists and pond keepers use a chloramine remover in all water that they take from the tap for their fishes and aquatic invertebrates.
* NovAqua+ breaks the chloramines apart, exposing the chlorine. In whatever form, NovAqua+ neutralizes up to 6.0 ppm of chlorine (free and combined as chloramines), over twice the amount that regular NovAqua removes. What NovAqua+ does not do is take out the ammonia that comes in the chloramines. This should be done by using Kordon’s AmQuel+ (or original AmQuel) with NovAqua+.
* EPA Guidelines set a maximum allowed level of chlorine of 4 ppm in public water supplies. Most water suppliers target 2-3 ppm chlorine. Note that 4 ppm of chlorine is actually about 5.8 ppm chloramine. (The chlorine is 69% of the chloramine molecule, ammonia is the other 31%). So, with a possible 5.8 ppm chloramine, there is 4 ppm chlorine, and 1.8 ppm ammonia. At the extreme 4 ppm level of chlorine in chloramine, a 1.5 standard dose of NovAqua+ is recommended. Check with your local public water utility for the level of chlorine that they are adding to tap water.
NovAqua+ buffers tap water When tap water is used, it comes out of the tap greatly reduced in oxygen. When tap water that is low or devoid of oxygen comes in contact with the air, its pH fluctuates rapidly while it is picking up oxygen and carbon dioxide. If tap water is added directly to the aquarium in which fishes and aquatic invertebrates are living, the fluctuations in pH can be very stressful, and may be lethal. NovAqua+ contains a high capacity buffering system that stops pH fluctuations in the water, stabilizes acidity/alkalinity to avoid pH shock, and allows fish to adapt safely to new environments. When the pH is balanced by NovAqua+, the water will be at its natural pH level, whatever that is. when the pH needs to be balanced, such as a pH of 7.0 for fresh water (neutral pH), or 8.2-8.3 for salt water, the use of Kordon pH Protector products are recommended.
NovAqua+ detoxifies heavy metals that can be toxic to many aquatic organisms. NovAqua+ detoxifies heavy metals that can be toxic to many aquatic organisms. Toxic metal ions in water can come from various sources, including public water utilities, home and commercial plumbing, medications, decorations and metal objects placed in the aquarium or pond, well water, etc. It is essential to detoxify heavy metals in the water supply for the fish to survive. The detoxifying capability of NovAqua+ precipitates the metal ions into harmless compounds, rather than chelating them. NovAqua+ forms a unique insoluble, polymeric salt with heavy metals that is stable under conditions of both high and low pH. This is a notable advantage over other products that rely strictly upon the chelation process. Such chelates are unstable, pH dependent, and can exchange their “bound” metal ion for another, releasing toxic ions into the water.
While tap water is acceptable to us and to pet animals (such as mammals — dogs cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. — and birds) as well as to farm animals, tap water varying in extent from source to source is toxic to fishes and other aquatic life. This is particularly true for the heavy metals that it contains from the metal and plastic pipes that it goes through before it reaches you. One of the important functions of NovAqua+ is to eliminate — or at least greatly reduce — heavy metals in the water.
One of the most toxic of heavy metals to fishes is copper, a common ingredient in tap water. NovAqua+ is capable per dose of precipitating up to 1.17 ppm free copper ions (Cu++) from solution. When copper is present in the tap water or when copper medications are used, the copper ions can combine with glass, plastic, rock, gravel, and other objects and remain indefinitely in this state.
Variations in pH (acidity/alkalinity) may cause the copper to come back into solution and be toxic to fishes and invertebrates. NovAqua+ permanently detoxifies copper and can be used to eliminate copper ion medications after their use as a treatment is completed.
While Kordon provides copper treatments (see them at KORDON PRODUCTS under Professional Use Only (Advanced Aquarist) Chemical Preventatives and Treatments), they are only recommended for those fully aware of how they should be used. On the Kordon home page (click on the Kordon tab at the top of the page on the Novalek web site) see the descriptions of the “Chelated Copper Disease Preventative” and “Copper Tru Disease Treatment,” as well as the “Overview of Chemical Preventatives and Treatments.”