- Origin: Brazil
- Max Size: 1.5 inches (4 cm)
- Social: Peaceful, suitable for community tank
- Lifespan: 5 years
- Tank Level: Mid, top dweller
- Keep in schools!
- Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods
- Breeding: Egglayer
- pH: 5.5 – 7.5
- Hardness: to 6 dGH
- Temperature: 73-81 F (23-27 C)
Sporting an iridescent silvery-white stripe contrasted by a black stripe beneath it, the Black Neon makes an excellent contrast fish to similarly shaped and sized tetras such as the Rummy Nose or Jumbo Neon Tetra.
At an adult size of little more than one inch, it is suitable for even small aquariums, although it should always be kept in schools instead of singly. Peaceful and easy to care for, they also make a nice addition to a larger community aquarium.